ch-scene - Re: Another Club to Close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: david gourley <davidg.nospam.news AT verizon.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Another Club to Close
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 03:11:19 GMT

grady AT ibiblio.org (grady) put forth the notion
in...477E9C0D.90505 AT ibiblio.org:">news:477E9C0D.90505 AT ibiblio.org:

> Do you say this in reference to restaurants that are primarily
> restaurants, and thus the owners don't really give a crap about music,
> and thus they make unreasonable demands of the bands and are generally
> jerks?

Restaurants that are primarily restaurants. Since I don't play those
places, I have no idea of the apparent jerk factor. Maybe they are,
maybe they aren't... you tell me. If they are, then it's probably worse.

> Or are you suggesting there's something inherently wrong with food and
> rock music sharing a space? Because I would want to disagree with the
> latter, but I suspect you're thinking more along the lines of the
> former.

Not necessarily, but I think trying to be all things to all people isn't
too great in a profitable sense for the musicians. So yes, your thinking
would be correct of my view in my thinking more in terms of the former.
Again, I said that I thought some of this was due to ABC laws, so some
places (ie restaurants) didn't have to become private clubs in order to
server liquour with their rawk.

Are bands really making a lot of money playing these places, anyway?

david