ch-scene - Re: Another Club to Close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: david gourley <davidg.nospam.news AT verizon.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Another Club to Close
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:22:43 GMT

grady AT ibiblio.org (grady) put forth the notion in...news:477FA0CD.5070502
@ibiblio.org:

> Last time I checked, bands aren't making a lot of money playing any
> places anymore, unless they're out-of-towners with a guarantee, in
which
> case it's the club that winds up taking the bath, unless it's the
> Cradle, which still pretty much gets first refusal on any tour, and
thus
> can cherry-pick the stuff that's going to do well.

I was afraid you'd say that. Too bad there aren't better/new models to
remedy that situation.

I guess I was thinking I'd hate to see these 'part-time rock places'
(restaurants with one foot in the door) put a dent in any efforts that
Glenn is making, because I see him as putting in a lot of good hard work
to make things happen. (At least based on what I've seen/heard, I've
never met him). It's a double-edged sword - they dilute the club scene
yet still give people a performance outlet.

david