ch-scene - Re: Another Club to Close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "l.sward" <armed2tt AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Another Club to Close
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 06:06:16 -0800 (PST)

I have to agree with David. I think the ABC laws are a big deterrent.
I remember the days, granted I know they weren't complying with such
laws, when you could pass by the 506, see some you liked and get in
for a decent price with no membership. No...unfortunately I don't have
the extra money to pay to see bands at the 506 or pay for price
increase on "cheap" beer. I went to a show at the 506, one that I had
been super excited about, and by the time I had gotten in bought a
beer and a t-shirt, of the band I wanted to see but only saw half
there set due to a crazy early start time, I had spent $30. I bought
cheap beer! Now I don't know about you but I don't make that kind of
money. I'm not try to single out the 506...so sorry if it seems that
way, but that is why I will go to the other smaller place to see
music, because I'm not paying $12 to see a band and over $2 for a PBR/
Highlife.

All I do know, and I know I might seem naive, is that those dumpy
little clubs, that aren't real "rock" clubs, have hosted some amazing
music. The Thrones....a band that I love to death can't get a show in
this area..except in a dumpy little dive. Joe Preston told me himself
that his booking agent had the hardest time booking in the area. The
show was packed. Also those places don't charge over $7 to see a show.
I'm getting a little ahead of myself. I guess I'm saying I want to
support local music, but I feel I'm paying a premium to do so and I
can't afford that premium. Nuf said.

P.S. Lizard and Snake....restaurant + bad-ass rock club.