ch-scene - Re: Another Club to Close

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Another Club to Close
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:58:56 -0800 (PST)

>>>Which is too bad, because the basic idea of a multi-income venue should be
>>>a better business model than the old single-purpose smelly-black-box
>>>rockclub. Unfortunately, the details of the implementation still count for
>>>a lot.

I would agree, three years in and I continue to try and think of ways
to make money the 20 hours a day Local 506 is not open to the public.
But I think ultimately something has to give to make this work, most
likely on both ends of the business. For example, soundcheck time
would normally correlate around dinner time, making for an unpleasant
dining experience (and probably an unpleasant soundcheck.) Or, a
smaller PA to accommodate more tables but sacrificing quality of
sound.

I do know that we often get the comment "wow, a real rock club" from
many touring acts which suggests that not only are there many places
out there running duel businesses, but also that most bands prefer
venues dedicated to live music. With that said, the so-called value
of a dedicated rock club (full PA, lighting system, elevated stage,
etc.) then becomes another part of a clubs overhead expense as I've
found patrons are not willing to pay more to see a band at Local 506
than they are to see them at some of the smaller rooms in town.

glenn