ch-scene - Re: Arcade Fire. I'm not insane.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Steven Keith <skeith AT capstrat.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Arcade Fire. I'm not insane.
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:20:44 -0400

This is the ³essence² of memorable music that the music genome de-compliers
(Pandora) are trying to crack. Its like measuring je¹ ne sais quoi or
elation or some such other purely subjective and immeasurable thing. Arcade
Fire has this ability to bottle and distill this essence better than many.

I was trying to put my finger on what it is with ³Wolf Like Me² on ³TV on
the Radio¹s² Return to Cookie Mountain that makes me need to hear that
fucking song twice a day. Incidentally, Every Yo La Tengo album ever put out
has at least one mysteriously addictive track like this. Also Fugazi¹s
³Waiting Room² I would argue has that essence as well.
--
Steven Keith
Director, Interactive Communications

(Music that doesn't really sound like anything else immediately
identifiable is like that sometimes.) Then all at once, on about the
fourth or fifth playing, there's some aspect that comes out through
the whole of everything else and I go "Okay, now I get it." I think
on "Funeral" it was the one-finger piano on "Rebellion (Lies.)" On
Gang of Four's "Entertainment" it was the tom-toms and hi-hat on
"Natural's Not In It." On Mission of Burma's "Vs." it's the loud-
quiet-loud part in the middle of "Mica."