ch-scene - Re: Arcade Fire. I'm not insane.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "DJ Golf" <djgolf AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Arcade Fire. I'm not insane.
  • Date: 26 Mar 2007 06:53:42 -0700

For a while there I thought I might be the only person who thinks Win
Butler sounds a lot like Ian McCulloch circa "Porcupine" on some of
"Neon Bible". Several folks told me he sounded like David Byrne on
"Funeral", but I never really got that.

"Neon Bible" isn't as good as "Funeral", but not many albums released
in the last decade are. It's kind of like 25 years ago when everybody
was saying that REM's "Reckoning" isn't as good as "Murmur." And I
figured the inevitable anti-Arcade Fire backlash would be here pretty
soon. Now's as good a time as any, I suppose.

"Funeral" for me was one of those rare albums that has the intangible
"something" that you can tell is there, but doesn't necessarily reveal
itself all at once. Kind of like when I heard Joy Division or Mission
of Burma or Gang of Four for the first time. I could tell it was
good, I just wasn't sure why yet and was compelled to keep listening.
(Music that doesn't really sound like anything else immediately
identifiable is like that sometimes.) Then all at once, on about the
fourth or fifth playing, there's some aspect that comes out through
the whole of everything else and I go "Okay, now I get it." I think
on "Funeral" it was the one-finger piano on "Rebellion (Lies.)" On
Gang of Four's "Entertainment" it was the tom-toms and hi-hat on
"Natural's Not In It." On Mission of Burma's "Vs." it's the loud-
quiet-loud part in the middle of "Mica." But I digress.

Not to completely change gears here, but I was just reading the new
Wire this weekend and one of their critics completely blasts the new
Stooges album. Granted, I could understand it not being that great
(the snippets I heard on NPR the other day were kind of like a really
raw version of the last couple Iggy albums) but this guy just had a
huge hard-on for Steve Albini (in the bad way) for some reason and
couldn't get beyond the whole "I am white and full of testosterone and
hate bass" idea that he was, fairly or not, projecting onto it.
Reviews like that annoy me, even if the record in question isn't any
good.

And speaking of testosterone, the Grinderman album (Nick Cave with
Warren Ellis and a couple of Bad Seeds) is really really good. Only
out as an import now - domestic release in a couple of weeks. It's
drunk and horny and sweaty and snarling and profane, and Nick plays
guitar (which he apparently took up 6 months ago. Think of Blixa
Bargeld's six-string work on the early Bad Seeds, with the amp on 11.
Fun.)

Thank you, that is all.