ch-scene - Re: Arcade Fire. I'm not insane.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Arcade Fire. I'm not insane.
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:23:10 -0700 (PDT)

I remember merge 15. Matt Tomich had seen this band
called The Arcade Fire several weeks before, and he
couldn't say enough about them. So when they got put
on the bill with Lou Barlow at the 506, a free show
the day before the merge festival officially began, I
went to see them.

I was blown away within seconds of hearing their first
song. It was in fact "Wake Up". I remember it to
this day. And when it was over, I told everyone I
could about how awesome this band is. Next thing I
know, they're performing Wake Up with David Bowie on
some fashion show. Fashion Rocks or something?
Anyway, when I saw that I didn't think "critics
darlings", I thought "well deserved".

Then they bought a church or something and recorded a
record with an orchestra in botswana or lichtenstein
or something, I've heard the record and I like it,
and I imagine I will like it a lot more as I listen to
it. But I wonder if maybe they didn't have ideas that
were a bit too grandiose for their level of experience
or songwritingsmanship. Or maybe they should have
hired Quincy Jones or something. Did you know Quincy
Jones never learned how to drive a car? I like cars.

So anyway, fuck pitchfork and everyone but maybe three
people who write for them.

Hep

It's here! Your new message!