ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "chaz" <bullcityrocks AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock at the Library and bigger issues
  • Date: 31 Jan 2006 09:55:45 -0800

good morning all.

something that i've been wanting to try is a "freebie" mixes bin. bob
down at Sound Idea in florida has been doing it for years and it was an
idea that really intrigued me. it is basically a leave one, take one
type of deal. burn a mix cd for yourself and burn a copy, bring it by
yer local record shop and swap it for one that's already in the bin or
box.

there're a lot of good radio shows out there being released as
podcasts, so i was thinking that would be a good way to start it off.
i'm a sucker and an addict for mixes like this. i'd burn off a handful
and leave 'em in a box. then, if someone's so inspired, make a mix
yourself, your own "radio show" and leave it. maybe even leave two
copies and take one til it grows.

now, we could kick this off with a local series collection. a spindle
of cds is pretty cheap and we can easily track down some paper sleeves
for them. just a simple handwritten track list is easy to write out
real quick - we can even get extravagant and leave album title AND
label on the write up too.

after working in record shops for some time, i can pretty bravely say
that the majority of people that shop in a record shop LOVE free cds.
any burned cd that any band has left in a stack in here for free has
disappeared within a day or two. no one is asked or forced to take
them, they are all taken at will and most probably get listened to
immediately on the way home. even crappy cds that i collected this way
became popular favorites.

because they are picked up at will, they don't go straight into the
trash. we can even do cassette tapes! mixtape revolution!
it could be fun.

talk with School Kids too, would they be so against handing out free
cds at the counter? i bet they already do. i don't have by any means
the traffic that they do, so they would be a good place to start as
well. hell, CD Alley would love the idea too, i could only assume.

free, cheapo burned cds. yes please.
p.s. i'm actually picking up wxdu on the radio today!