ch-scene - Re: Anthropology

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mary Anne Barckhoff <barckhoff AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthropology
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:31:23 -0800 (PST)

--- clo AT nc.rr.com wrote:
> But seriously - what's the deal with the dancing
> or not dancing at
> shows thing? I've heard this complaint over and
> over again. To
> people on the periphery of the music scene it seems
> to typify what they
> don't like about going to local shows. It's kind
> of a strange thing
> to fixate on, don't ya think? Am I crazy or has
> anyone else heard
> this criticism? Just curious.

ALL the time. In fact, I just had a conversation
about it last nite with a guy who moved here about 2
years ago. He brought it up, not me! And, apparently
the lack of dancing is distasteful to him.
Specifically, he was referring to the LeTigre show and
he quoted LeTigre as proclaiming that their music is
for people to dance to. He was baffled as to why
Chapel Hillians wouldn't oblige.

I just crossed my arms and nodded (heh!).

mab

Viva la Venus website: http://www.vivalavenus.com
Little Miss Messy website: http://www.littlemissmessy.net

The difference between excitement and fear is a matter of choice.