ch-scene - Re: Anthropology

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Nathaniel Florin <npflorin AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthropology
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:05:35 -0800 (PST)

--- clo AT nc.rr.com wrote:
> Am I crazy or has
> anyone else heard
> this criticism? Just curious.

Chris Riser alludes to it in this post of October 27,
1994:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.music.chapel-hill/browse_thread/thread/322fc29a99fa3126/d0d55809e6b90c1c

This is, as far as I can tell, the first reference to
the phenomenon on alt.music.chapel-hill in the
newsgroup era, or at least in what google has. It
probably came up in the listserv days as well; I can't
remember either way. A cursory search reveal
approximately 78 bazillion further references to it
over the years. For example, Chris Welbon weighed in
with the "the music doesn't lend itself to dancing"
argument back in 1995, to which Bill Burton added
concerns about space in clubs like the Cradle:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.music.chapel-hill/browse_thread/thread/9e319e71709de59f/d24354c15e06a6a3

You can do this all day, if you're interested in
archaeology.

Nate