ch-scene - Re: Anthropology

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthropology
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:49:23 -0500

Hmm. Near as I can tell, the only people who ever mention the dancing/non-dancing bullshit are people who're trying to get a rise out of people.

I don't travel much, and when I do I sure as shit don't go to indie-rock shows, but I would like to know how exactly people supposedly dance in other cities to alla this weird arrhythmic and/or plodding and/or too fast and/or just generally not designed to be dance music indie-rock music we're talking about.

I mean, if all we're missing out on is the continued weird dominance of the pogo as a dance-step, then I'm perfectly happy to live without it, thanks. I did my time in the late-80s and early-90s and my knees get sore enough just standing still, these days.

In any case, at root it's none of anybody's fucking business whether I'm able to enjoy music more or less if I'm moving or standing still, and I've always been more than a little mystified as to why anybody would care how much fun I'm having at a show in the first place.

People who know me know that I'm actually slightly *more* likely to stupidly attempt to "dance" at indie-rock than many of my peers, and if I fail at the attempt more often than not, then all I have to say is this: Send More Good Drummers!

xox

Ross

clo AT nc.rr.com wrote:
I was shooting for over-the-top, to be provocative and hopefully rile
somebody into posting a real response (this postit board can be a
little dry), so please, nobody get yer panties in a wad over it. I'm
not retracting my rant, but I've got to admit I was being dramatic with
it for effect. If I traunced upon the delicate sensibilities of any
alt.chappy posters I appologize. Goddamnit! I'm too good!!
But seriously - what's the deal with the dancing or not dancing at
shows thing? I've heard this complaint over and over again. To
people on the periphery of the music scene it seems to typify what they
don't like about going to local shows. It's kind of a strange thing
to fixate on, don't ya think? Am I crazy or has anyone else heard
this criticism? Just curious.