ch-scene - Re: Anthropology

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Fikri Yucel <fikri_y AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Anthropology
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:19:58 -0800 (PST)

RE: dancing at shows

My own observations of rock shows from the late 80s to
the present indicate that there is less movement, on
average, on the part of the audience these days than
there was in the late 80s to early 90s. This is not a
value judgment (less movement = BAD!) or an attempt at
explaining the phenomenon (music today = less
dance-oriented).

Now, the anecdotal experience of one oberver isn't
necessarily representative of the phenomenon in
question. But I've been seeing shows in the
Durham-Chapel Hill area since 1991, and over all this
time I have gone to a pretty broad mix of shows, so I
don't think it's a case of dude gets older and ends up
going to more sedate shows.

This does not mean that no one ever dances at shows
anymore. When there's a younger crowd in attendance
the likelihood and quantity of dancing goes up pretty
sharply, I have found. (Perhaps this corroborates the
"graying of the scene" hypothesis.) Dancing at shows
also increases with increasing proportion of women in
attendance. But on the whole, it really does feel
like there's less of it going on than once upon a
time.

I have no idea how this may compare with other towns.
For laughs you can take as one data point the song
"Standing Still" by the Dismemberment Plan (released
in 1997):

"Well it's a sensation…
Across the entire nation.
a hundred million kids
All dancing in suspended animation, hmm…
and if the feeling's all right
We'll be standing still until the morning light

And they're doing the standing still
And they're doing the standing still
And they're doing the standing still
And they're doing the standing still
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed
Oh, my aching head.

in Fargo, six or seven kids
Watched the Plan in a strip-mall
I thought they were bored out of their skulls
But it turns out they were having a ball
well I finally knew
They were doing a brand-new step everybody isn't
moving to
And they're doing the standing still"

So maybe it ain't just chapel hill...

-Fikri

PS: personally, I like jumping around a bit...

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!