ch-scene - Re: Undergraduates and Local Music

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Undergraduates and Local Music
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:47:17 -0500

I think there's a fair amount of segregation between the two scenes here, but there is plenty of overlap, too. Certainly a few years ago Strunken White drew shitloads of high school and college+ kids to their shows, and Natasha were doing the same up til their untimely demise.

The B-Sides/Never were all high-school age when they started, as were some of those Tunnell boys in Vibrant Green. Rubeo were a "high school band" who eventually morphed into des_ark.

Plus there is the whole Trekky Records crowd, which seems to have seized upon Nightlight as the most-accessible club for underage kids, which I think is great.

I'm such a slackass that I haven't made it out to see any of the Trekky bands--except for Choose Your Own Adventure, that is, who are all much older than college-age & who are I guess some proof of continued cross-pollenation between the high school & "adult" scenes.

I think if anything, a lot of "adult" music fans around here are more than willing to check out the high school bands without even consciously thinking of them as "high school bands" or at most, noting it in passing & then moving on.

I'm not sure how that relates to what we're talking about, though, although certainly the demise of Strunken White & Natasha had everything to do with post-graduation scatter.

Should there be more all-ages shows? Definitely, of course, yes. Are there *already* a lot? Yes--aren't all Cradle shows all-ages? Nightlight seems to be permanently all-ages. Go used to be flooded with high school kids for certain shows, but so much for that, I guess.

Ross

bendy wrote:

grady wrote:

Keep in mind also that last time I checked, *both* the Cave and Local 506 were strictly 21-and-over venues, albeit with varying levels of ID-checkage at the Cave, at least. That is very much an "unapproachable" factor for the majority of undergrads.

This was something I was going to bring up, too, and I think Randy hit upon it as well when he mentioned that Charlotte had a good *high school* scene. This is indeed a balding rock scene, very much post-drinking age. Which is odd, 'cause compared to other scenes, the drinking ain't a big part of it.

But for all our sprawl, we dont' really have a suburban scene that feeds into the metro scene. I grew up in the greater Boston area, and you definitely had the "kids" bands (Gang Green, Throwing Muses) that got the matinees in the clubs, and the "grown-up" bands that never did all ages shows (Blackjacks, Til Tuesday), but there was continuity between it. Like how Til Tuesday won the battle of the bands one year, followed by Gang Green the next year, who did their own version of Voices Carry. Some of it must have to do with the transient nature of the area- I bet a lot of the high schoolers here go elsewhere for college, and we all know how many transplants there are here.

Bendy [on preview, what Bran just posted too...]