ch-scene - Re: Undergraduates and Local Music

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Lisa Bachelder <lisa AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Undergraduates and Local Music
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:30:26 -0500

at a white stripes cradle show, their merch folks made a cardboard sign that said, "DANCE MOTHERFUCKERS. PLEASE." i took it home and hung it up.

lb

paok wrote:
Yeah, when I moved from Louisiana to Chapel Hill, I found the lack of
dancing or other movement really bizarre. If I were a musician, I
think I'd hate it--I remember I was watching tinsel at the Cradle at
some kind of anti-Helms benefit, and I kept thinking everyone looked
so bored.

I actually think it's changed somewhat (or maybe I'm just used to
it)--it seems like more people are willing to shake some booty than
before.

pk

PS Anything I say in the future about the lack of dancing at shows
is strictly good-natured ribbing. I do think it's funny, but that's
just because I'm used to a certain segment of the Charlotte scene
(and yes, it does exist).

That was definitely the weirdest part about moving here. Chapel Hill
is famous for arms crossed, head nodding stoicism at shows. I'm used
to it by now, but when you first move here it is quite strange. My
current theory is that the sheer number of options makes going to a
show a real casual experience. Whereas when I lived other places,
you jumped on the one good show a month and made the most of it.

rossi