ch-scene - Re: Undergraduates and Local Music

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Undergraduates and Local Music
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:05:44 -0500

I dunno if I'd be willing to get into a debate about how many local bands are better than the Arcade Fire, because that's a pretty fucking great album, but certainly we know that it's possible to go to more than one show a year & love more than one album a year, so that's OK. And yes there are dozens of local bands as good, in their own ways, as the Arcade Fire.

Which leads me to the question that has been bugging me: Why was there NO LOCAL OPENER for The Arcade Fire? Or for so many of the other big-indie-rock-undergrad-draws at the Cradle? I can understand if there is a 3-band bill that's touring around together, because 4 bands is just excessive. But there are a fair number of shows that are just two out-of-town bands.

I was skimming back through old Cradle schedule emails, and what I mostly determined was that a lot of them don't list the openers, so it's hard to tell which shows had local openers & which ones didn't ;-)

But my impression is that the vast majority of Cradle shows with local bands are (a) all local bands, or (b) shows where the headliner is friends with or otherwise requested a local band.

There are exceptions -- Strange opened for Mission of Burma & the only connection that I'm aware of there is that Bob Weston recorded an album for the White Octave, and Linc's now playing bass for Strange. Maybe that's the reason.

Seems to me that if we want the young Arcade Fire fans to get psyched about local music, then it would make sense to have a local band open for the Arcade Fire.

What am I missing here?

Ross

Randy wrote:
The thing I have the most
trouble understanding is how some students will drive
to Asheville to see The Arcade Fire, but don't know a
thing about bands that are (in my opinion) better AND
living in the same town.