ch-scene - High School and Local Music

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "bran" <blewis_13 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: High School and Local Music
  • Date: 11 Feb 2005 07:58:55 -0800

>From my experience, your undergrad scene starts with your high school
scene.

In my hometown, we had one club that held all ages shows on Sunday
nights. No beer was served - sodas only. Cover charge was $5. The
club got half to cover expenses and the bands split half. One Sundays
when there was no school on Monday, the club was packed beyond
capactiy.For this particular club, attendance to these shows were so
great that it kept the club afloat for some time.

The key to the success was that the popular/good/grown up bands would
pick a local high school act to open for them. There was some work
involved in picking a good/popular high school act. Once that was
nailed, you were able to expose a number of young people to an "older"
local band. The local bands got the exposure to an audience they'd
likely never get in another situation.

When we all left high school, those of us who stayed in town already
had a built in understanding of the local scene and the clubs. In
fact, the people we grew up with were an intergral part of the scene,
so people already were interested in seeing developing bands and were
already in the habit of going to shows our freshman year of college.

I've not seen a real effort to set up anything like this from a local
club. King's early Sunday shows is the closest I've seen, but the time
of day makes both the bands and the fans feel stupid.

Brandon