ch-scene - Re: High School and Local Music- quit waiting and make your own scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: alex kostelnik <bd189 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: High School and Local Music- quit waiting and make your own scene
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:59:19 -0800 (PST)

Hey Brandon- what town was this?

Brilliant.

Back in the day in Seattle (1983-93) We did this
crazy thing where we put on our own shows.

Yes that's right- we rented a hall or a storefront and
we rocked out.

Later the city cracked down and tried to ruin it.

There was a PMRC like city council and mayor who among
other things

(Believe it)

Made postering illegal

Required anyone renting a hall to have 1 million
dollars liability

and the best one of all

They passed a "Teen Dance Ordinance" which made it
illegal for kids under 21 to mingle with kids over 21.

If there are not crazy laws like this on the books in
the Triangle, then the green light beckons-

go forth you all and let there be rock!

stick it to the man!

it's easy actually.

The independant shows were probably the single most
important factor in the Seattle scene in the early
eighties- that and the soon-to-be ill-fated College
radio station KCMU.

KCMU is now owned by none other than second in command
at Microsoft Paul Allen.

The true kiss of death if there ever was one.

The weird and cool thing about Chapel Hill is that it
never "made it" like Seattle did.

This is a blessing- "no-one" is watching!

Sincerely, Alex Kostelnik

Durham native since 2002.