ch-scene - Re: here's a thought... on BBQ

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Christiane Voisin <voisc AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: here's a thought... on BBQ
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:59:53 -0500 (EST)

Ross,

> I'm sure their explanation was too many caterings. We had supper there
> this past Saturday & were told that if things were a little hectic, it
> was because they'd had six simultaneous caterings that day. I dunno if
> they had BBQ on hand, because Maggie had the garlic chicken with roasted
> fennel & a giant mound of mashed potatoes, and I had the brunswick stew.
> Which, as an aside, was good, but a little thin, as if it had not stewed
> long enough, and was not, to borrow a phrase from some Kentuckians of my
> acquaintance, "wangy" enough.

aha. i'll try not to have them cater anything so walk-ins will have first
dibs.

Maggie's food description is making me hungry and i just had a smoothie!
my boss had something there they called Bouillabaisse, which she said was
quite delicious but not at all what she expected. probably also lacking in
wanginess... their desserts kick so much ass though!

> Smoked pig being what it is, it's not something you can whip up
> spur-of-the-moment, of course, and while its bouquet intensifies with a
> certain amount of storage, you don't really want to be cranking it out
> too far in advance, either.

the bouquet thing must be true - i went to a pig roast in Mass. this
summer and it was a little too raw tasting/close to nature for me - i ate
vegetables. my favorite is Allen & Sons and I am glad to hear that the
Rossis got to go there.

> So I suppose if they were true down-home purveyors of NC BBQ, they
> would've looked Chris in the eye & said "well, son, you didn't get here
> soon enough." But I'm sure you're right, they were probably quite
> apologetic, unless the register was being manned by that stoned
> black-mop-haired teenager guy, in which case he likely just gave Chris a
> weird look and then served him some lukewarm beans.

i know who you are talking about. i wonder why chris likes him. perhaps
there's a budding radical leftie leader the likes of which we have never
seen under that black mop.

> And I suppose if Chris were a true connoisseur of NC BBQ, he would've
> simply nodded & agreed that he should try harder next time. Truly, it
> does not require *that* much extra mental effort to conclude that BBQ
> can and should make an excellent breakfast.

ok now i'm not hungry ;-)

christiane

ps - extra credit for reading to the end. Free Badly Drawn Boy/Adem ticket
to first interested responder. i'm going to the sharon jones/dap-kings
thing friday, holly golightly saturday, and know i won't end up at the
cradle on sunday night.