ch-scene - Re: here's a thought...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: here's a thought...
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:54:43 -0500

I'm sure their explanation was too many caterings. We had supper there this past Saturday & were told that if things were a little hectic, it was because they'd had six simultaneous caterings that day. I dunno if they had BBQ on hand, because Maggie had the garlic chicken with roasted fennel & a giant mound of mashed potatoes, and I had the brunswick stew. Which, as an aside, was good, but a little thin, as if it had not stewed long enough, and was not, to borrow a phrase from some Kentuckians of my acquaintance, "wangy" enough.

Smoked pig being what it is, it's not something you can whip up spur-of-the-moment, of course, and while its bouquet intensifies with a certain amount of storage, you don't really want to be cranking it out too far in advance, either.

So I suppose if they were true down-home purveyors of NC BBQ, they would've looked Chris in the eye & said "well, son, you didn't get here soon enough." But I'm sure you're right, they were probably quite apologetic, unless the register was being manned by that stoned black-mop-haired teenager guy, in which case he likely just gave Chris a weird look and then served him some lukewarm beans.

And I suppose if Chris were a true connoisseur of NC BBQ, he would've simply nodded & agreed that he should try harder next time. Truly, it does not require *that* much extra mental effort to conclude that BBQ can and should make an excellent breakfast.

xo

Ross

Christiane Voisin wrote:
that is totally weird. what was their explanation? from what i know of
the management it seems like they would be super apologetic and foisting
on you some free duck confit sanwiches if that happened.

christiane