ch-scene - Re: here's a thought...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: here's a thought...
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:37:46 -0500

Oh, there will be real political change; it will start with a couple of Supreme Court appointments (or 3, or 4, worst-case).

Once the SCOTUS rubber-stamp has been inked up real good, politics will change in ways that most of us can't even imagine.

Ross

p.s. I'm not going anywhere, but it's not because I'm particularly optimistic about the future. More because I don't know that it's possible to run fast/far enough to get out from under. Kinda like that scene at the end of that disaster movie with Morgan Freeman as President when the comet pieces hit the earth and cause a giant tidal wave and TV-news estranged-from-dad lady goes and makes up with her dad & then they stand on the beach & watch the tidal wave coming & then wham. Or something like that.

Bo Williams wrote:

I'm giving people a one-week grace period to vent their escapist fantasies. After that, either roll up your sleeves and get to work, or quit whining.

Me, I'm optimistic that this will be the kick in the pants this country needs to get some real political change started. But I've certainly been wrong before. I plan to be a lot more active in the next four years than I was in the last four, at least.

Bo

Chris Calloway wrote:

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

Sure, but they don't let those cultural differences
prevent them from, say, providing health care to every Canadian
citizen.

It would be nice for Merkins to acknowledge that
health care is a security issue. It hardly matters if
you die of a plane flying into your building or if you
die of the flu. You are just as dead both ways and
both are just as preventable.

Canada is indeed an exceedingly complex place.

Dude, Democrats are way better cooks than Republicans.

Anyone who leaves this country without having been
some GOTV superhero who quit their job to go volunteer
in Florida for the last year is just being a dick.
Most of the people I know saying they have to leave
the country are of the "I'm campaigning by forwarding
lots of emails" ilk. I say, don't let the door hit you
on the way out.

3

PS - A friend of mine has a rather famous dad and
wrote this today (and yes, admittedly he left out the
fact that what happened in Chile was supported and
aided by the USA):

I left Chile in 1973 after the military coup. My
father was in hiding, running from his life, doors
were being knocked at midnight and people dragged away
in front of their children in unmarked cars in the
middle of the night. Often times the children were
taken too and tortured in front of the parents.

You know the story, repeated all over the world.

But not here.

My mother who lived those times, never thought Kerry
had a chance. She believed too many Americans were
ignorant and brain washed. But she was very surprised
that Kerry got almost 50% of the vote. She thought
only 10% of Americans were conscious. She is very
happy that she was wrong. We have a lot of people who
are awake.

This is a country filled with beautiful people. I have
been looking for a place to settle down and fight the
continuation of what was robbed to me in 1973 - the
possibility of joining/creating a community determined
to fight and struggle for a world where we ride the
moral arc of the universe. It's a moral arc that MLK
said was long, but it bent towards justice.

The problem with democrats is that we think short
term.

This may be related to our distancing from spiritual
religion.

In any case, we must think long term.

Long term means that we believe we can build a better
world right here in our communties. That we are ready
to wait and see what the garden brings and trust that
we will be rewarded.

I would consider leaving the USA only and only IF I
knew that we were in a situation where someone was
going to knock at my door in the middle of the
night and drag me away. We're not there.

Let me share with you one of my favorite poems by
Bertolt Brecht who wrote of the "dark times".

AND I ALWAYS THOUGHT

And I always thought: the very simplest
words

must be enough. When I say what things are
like

Everyone's heart must be torn to shreds.

That you'll go down if you don't stand up
for yourself

Surely you see that.

Bertolt Brecht