ch-scene - Re: here's a thought...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: philipayers AT yahoo.com (My friend Phil said,)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: here's a thought...
  • Date: 5 Nov 2004 07:00:20 -0800

even though certain european countries seem way more "civilized" than
the usa, with universal health care, housing subsidies, even vacation
subsidies!.. and bla blah blah, when you live there you find it's not
simple but way more complex below the surface. Our attitudes are
naturally an outcome, to a large degree, of what we're use to.
Europeans are right about us, on many issues, but I doubt they'd do
any better if in a similar situation. On the other hand I wonder why
you would think a fisherman living and working in canada would be any
more civilized than an american working in similar circumstances.
Even in denmark when people are given the choice of having lower taxes
for fewer services there are a large percentage who would opt for
lower taxes....even among the working classes. I guess they think
those trains will continue to run every 10 mins.

news:<20041104155946.17042.qmail AT web14302.mail.yahoo.com>...