cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:53:06 -0500

Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> I don't see any problems with NC (Non Commercial). I think you mean ND -
> No Derivatives.

No, both are traps for free software authors:

ND - use my code in anything new, I sue you
NC - use my code in anything new, I extort you for money or I sue you anyway

(Oh yeah, and I can sue you just for using it unchanged, too!)

As Capt. Reynolds would say, "TRAP!!!!"

At least if no source is provided, I have a strong hint that the
software is non-free.

And why would you provide source for either? I have no economic
incentive to contribute to your codebase either way.

More importantly, since the only thing a source code provision would do
is to ensure that I share my source back to you if I do make changes --
which I either can't make or can't use if I do make -- why would it matter?

Cheers,
Terry