cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Joachim Durchholz <jo AT durchholz.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:45:56 +0200

Rob Myers schrieb:
Joachim Durchholz wrote:

This being just an informed layman's point of view, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of legal footwork involved to get this right, but it would be very helpful. Just imagine that people wouldn't be forced to roll their own licenses because the GPL agenda doesn't fit the constraints under which they can make their software Open Source.

The Open Source definition explicitly precludes NC and ND licenses. So it is not possible to call something Open Source that is licensed with those constraints.

Sure, we'd have CC licenses that don't fit the definition of "Free and Open Source Software".

I'm not sure that this would be a Bad Thing. (Assuming that this is clearly stated on cc.org's pages, of course.)

Would it?

Regards,
Jo