cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Andres Guadamuz" <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC homepage
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:19:01 +0100

I agree thoroughly with James. The FSF does not have a trade mark over the
usage of the word "freedom", and I don't think that the way it's utilised in
the CC website is either confusing or problematic.

There is a small minority of people familiar with the terminology, and who
have a very good n idea of the various movements, ideologies, licensing
methods and licence elements involved.

Having presented on FLOSS and CC to a variety of audiences, I can convey
(anecdotally at least) that your average punter doesn't care whatsoever
about the many competing definitions, and finds them confusing. I cannot see
how the use of the word "rights" instead of "freedoms" will alleviate
whatever perceived public's misconceptions. No amount of website space will
do that job.

Regards,

Andres

-----------------
Andres Guadamuz
AHRC Research Centre for Studies in
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Old College, South Bridge
Edinburgh EH8 9YL

Tel: 44 (0)131 6509699
Fax: 44 (0)131 6506317
a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk
http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/

IP/IT/Medical Law LLM by Distance Learning
http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/distancelearning/