cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Joachim Durchholz <jo AT durchholz.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:14:32 +0200

Mike Linksvayer schrieb:
On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 08:54 +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
Software is special, but it's not so special that it warrants such a massive exception as having just a single license that uses different language, different legal concepts, etc.

Path dependency. A priori software may not be that special.
Historically, it is.

That explains the choice, but it doesn't justify it (beyond the usual "the GPL already does a good deal of what we want, and we don't have something better" - which I'd agree with).

Source-unavailable freeware, source-available payware, shareware, etc.
have been around for decades. That no commonly applied licenses for
these have developed is a huge warning sign.

Let me retort with "path dependency" to this one :-)

For FOSS, RMS has been massively promoting and pushing the issue. (And even there, there's a multitude of licenses.)
For non-FOSS, no evangelization has helped shape a standard license. Probably because it's less controversial.

Please ignore this sign and develop and evangelize such licenses.

OK :-)

When you've achieved massive adoption we could talk about a CC
wrapper for your licenses like we've done with the GPL. But I
recommend first discussing with people who have thought about these
issues deeply. Join http://www.crynwr.com/fsb/

I'm not ready to invest a lifetime into this.

However, I'm willing to look up a summary of previous discussions on the issue and report. No need to reiterate stale arguments after all!
Is there a URL with such a beast? Reading through the archives of a mailing list that discusses many other topics is probably too much time for me.

Regards,
Jo