cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Björn Terelius <bjorn.terelius AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:49:58 +0200

I agree with Joachim Durchholz, it would be great if the Creative Commons made adaptations for software. I can't understand why some of you guys dislike the idea so much. After all, why should it be possible for an artist to release their creations as ND but not possible for a programmer based on some loosely defined "ethical principle" of open source. The Creative Commons are not the same as FSF and does not have to share the FSFs opinions. I think that the programmer should have the freedom to choose the license he sees fit for his project, even if it isn't open source. That a ND licence for software would "cause needless division, friction and incompatibility" is simply not true. The incompatibility already exists. Just search the net for "freeware" and you will find thousands of gratis but non-free programs. www.freewarehome.com alone claim to have more than 4500 programs for download, each probably with its own license.

Regards
Bjorn Terelius