cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Joachim Durchholz <jo AT durchholz.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:58:10 +0200

Thinh Nguyen schrieb:
From our FAQ: "We strongly encourage you to use one of the very good
software licenses available today."

Been there, read that.

However, I do think that GPL and LGPL can be improved upon.

Not so much in the way of serving their respective purposes better - in fact they do that just fine.
However, they aren't applicable to all situations. The GPL is Attribution/Derivative/Share-Alike, the LGPL is Attribution/Derivative. There's no option for Noncommercial or No-Derivative.

I think cc.org could help here. From a layman's point of view, all cc.org would have to do would be a broader definition of Derivative, namely that the licensor would have to give out all the means to actually produce a derivative works as far has he has them. That should cover source code, patent rights, keys, whatever.
This being just an informed layman's point of view, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of legal footwork involved to get this right, but it would be very helpful. Just imagine that people wouldn't be forced to roll their own licenses because the GPL agenda doesn't fit the constraints under which they can make their software Open Source.

Just my 10c,
Jo