cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:38:54 -0500

Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Sure, we'd have CC licenses that don't fit the definition of "Free and
> Open Source Software".
>
> I'm not sure that this would be a Bad Thing.

I am.

The sheer political backlash would be quite sufficient to make it a "Bad
Thing". :-O

Besides, there's very little reason to create such a license. It would
achieve nothing over using By-NC for software, except that it might
reveal the source code, which is actually a negative to the user --
because seeing the source code can be used to argue that you copied it.
This is the trap with Microsoft "Shared Source" licenses and the like.

Anyone interested in producing free-licensed software would generally do
better to avoid exposing themselves to the sight of non-free code.

IOW, NC-licensed "open source"[1] software is actually WORSE than
proprietary closed source code.

[1] Obviously I don't mean "open source" in the OSD sense, but merely in
the sense of having source code you can read.