cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] CC homepage

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] CC homepage
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:34:03 -0400 (EDT)

As was just pointed out in the GPL discussion,
the CC front page at http://creativecommons.org/ says:

> Creative Commons provides free tools that let
> authors, scientists, artists, and educators
> easily mark their creative work with the
>
> freedoms
>
> they want it to carry. You can use CC to change
> your copyright terms from "All Rights Reserved"
> to "Some Rights Reserved."

And as was demonstrated in the current discussion,
people new to the world of FLOSS have taken this
to imply that all CC licenses have something to
do with Freedoms.

Can someone please change "freedoms" to "rights"
in the above text?

NC and ND manage rights to the work, but there
is no Freedom to a work under NC-ND. I get how
everyone, including CC, likes to jump on the
Freedom bandwagon, but Freedom with respect to
copyright has an already-established meaning,
and the above text is not respecting that context.

It's confusing and misleading people,
and it is not an accurate statement.

Greg