cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] any examples of how to attribute?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] any examples of how to attribute?
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:24:45 -0500

Erik Sjölund wrote:

Could I require that the attribution text should be placed under each
of the tunes he creates or could I only require that the attribution
text is placed at one place in the book if he publish a collection of
these tunes?

The current (2.5) licesnse have the following text in their attribution section:

"Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner; provided, however, that in the case of a Derivative Work or Collective Work, at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as such other comparable authorship credit."

Having a credits section at the start of a book of sheet music strikes me as a "reasonable manner" of giving credit to the authors and composers. Thus, I don't think that this lets you require that the attributions in the derivative works be placed on each individual tune. If he puts the name of any of the other tunes' authors/composers with the individual tunes, however, he'll have to place your name, etc. with your individual tunes.

ObDisclaimer: This isn't legal advice.

James