cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:37:07 +0000

White, Phil wrote:
Because it doesn't _enforce_ _sharing_ AFAIK. As I see it, you can
modify a work, release it under the same license and distribute it as
you will, and it seems to me that all the License Requirements have
been met. However, I don't want you only to share it with others, I
want you to share it with me (or my site-contributors) as well (and
unless I know about the derivative you are not sharing it with me,
only distributing it to others). Unless I can enforce (somehow) the
sharing side, as opposed to the distribution side, I am stuck...

Actually, SA *does* enforce sharing. It just doesn't give your site any
special pride of place -- you'd have to earn that, by being the best
resource. In practice, however, the mere fact that you started a project
is usually sufficient to encourage people to contribute back to your
site.

Maybe what you should be doing is licensing CC-By-SA, and then
*politely asking* people to contribute material back to you. You don't
need force of law for that, surely? You seem to be fearing an outcome
that YEARS of global experience in community-based peer production
have proven is NOT a problem. Why, for example, is this not a problem
for Wikipedia? Or for Sourceforge?

I think you're tilting at windmills after all.

Cheers,
Terry