cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:05:25 -0400 (EDT)

You would need to get your contributers to agree
to assign all rights of their contributions to you.
This would be some sort of agreement you would set
up on your wiki, that by contributing, the person
agrees to assign all copyrights to their contributions
to you.

The work then becomes yours, and you can license it
however you wish.

Don't count on people breaking down your door to
contribute, though. Most people get a wiki project
is for sharing, and that the results remain shared.
To require explicitely reassigning copyright to you
so that the work is owned by you, is, well, not
very conducive to sharing. And some people may
view it as an attempt to get free labor to build
something that only you can benefit from

Especially if you intend to sell the rights
to make a derivative to someone outside the
wiki website at some point.

At first glance, I wouldn't spend any amount of my
time editing what ends up being your property.

But that's just me.

Out of curiosity, why won't ShareAlike work?

Greg London
--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/