cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "White, Phil" <Phil.White AT rjah.nhs.uk>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:15:55 +0100

Hello Greg.

Thanks for the input.

> You would need to get your contributers to agree
> to assign all rights of their contributions to you.
> This would be some sort of agreement you would set
> up on your wiki, that by contributing, the person
> agrees to assign all copyrights to their contributions
> to you.

Yep. That's what I had in mind as part of the T&C.

> Most people get a wiki project
> is for sharing, and that the results remain shared.

Ahh! THAT IS the crux. And the problem revolves around that definition
of 'freedom', and (and this is important) making sure the results remain
shared. To ensure the latter part, I have to know what has been changed,
and how to get my hands on a copy of the derivative!

If I release a work, I (personally) care not what you do with it, only
that I KNOW about what you have done. I don't want to stop you doing
whatever you will with it, and care not about restricting your freedoms.
But I DO want not only attribution, but also to know HOW it has been
changed.

Now I might be thick here (often am!), but I don't know how to achieve
this last part. Why is this so important? Because we are all constantly
learning. Nothing is static, and no-one knows everything. If I release a
document, I am not interested in the value of the document to someone
else - it is the intrinsic value it represents to me that I care about.
If you change it, there is a reason why you have done so. If I know what
you have changed, I can begin to ask myself why you have changed it.
>From that, I can learn, and possibly change my own opinions and
approach. That is the environment I wish to create and foster.

> Out of curiosity, why won't ShareAlike work?

Because it doesn't _enforce_ _sharing_ AFAIK. As I see it, you can
modify a work, release it under the same license and distribute it as
you will, and it seems to me that all the License Requirements have been
met. However, I don't want you only to share it with others, I want you
to share it with me (or my site-contributors) as well (and unless I know
about the derivative you are not sharing it with me, only distributing
it to others). Unless I can enforce (somehow) the sharing side, as
opposed to the distribution side, I am stuck...

Best regards,

Phil.