cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:18:18 +0000

White, Phil wrote:
> You are talking about a market economy license where the license is
> designed to benefit you over everyone else. Which means you soak up
> all the contributions from people, have them sign copyright over
> to you, and then when they've made the work even better, you have
> the sole right to sell it to MajorCorp and leave your contributers
> in the dust.

This is the second time you have besmirched my character.

Greg has said nothing to indicate that you *would* do
this. The point is that you legally *could* -- and your
contributors know that. Greg is attempting to
demonstrate why your choice is likely to reduce your
success at persuading people to submit content to
your project.

Actually, the mystery is, why wouldn't you? If your
contributors agree to these terms, then they've
agreed that it's okay for you do to do that. And if
it's NOT okay (your opinion), then why make them
agree to it?

Greg and I both know from the record that projects set up
like yours preferentially fail compared to free projects. In
our opinion, the facts of history are against you.

I have already acknowledged that there may be some special
conditions about your situation that violate the empirical
rule that we are assuming. However, nothing that you have
offered in evidence of your opinion seems compelling to me.

I think you are making a mistake, and your project will suffer
because of it.
The only thing that draws your character into question
in this thread is your continued insistence on asymmetric
power. I don't personally think you are doing that because
of flaws in your morality or ethics, but rather because of
flaws in your understanding of the consequences.

My basis for that belief is both empirical and theoretical.
You have made no empirical or theoretical arguments to
the contrary. You have made unsubstantiated claims which
I find implausible -- so far nothing that persuades me to change
that opinion. Or as I said before, 'I think you are tilting at
windmills after all'.
Of course, that said, you can go your merry way, and
we'll go ours. We disagree. Tough cookies. You're a
grown up, and you don't need our permission, so
why are you so concerned about us not giving it?

I hope you will remember that we already took the time
to answer the objective legal question before starting this
discussion. So from here, you're looking a mite ungrateful.

Cheers -- and lighten up,
Terry