cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "White, Phil" <Phil.White AT rjah.nhs.uk>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:30:29 +0100

Hello Terry

Tnx for the reply. Apologies for the lack of threading with this message
- work mail annoyance - I will see if I can thread a reply properly next
time...

You have summarized my feelings on the matter very well. Point 1 is
succinct and applicable - I just don't like it. Point 2 - What am I
afraid of? Simply multiple copies being distributed _that I am now AWARE
of_. Everyone has access to the document, and can make what use of it
they will - but if they change it, there will be a reason for the
change, and I feel it is important that the other users of the same
document are aware that alteration was deemed necessary and, more
importantly, WHY. In short, I am trying to enhance the data that is
available with the resource.

(if it helps, we are talking Medical Policy documents here)

Yes, there is a conflict here. I don't want a ND license. But I don't
really want copies altered anywhere other than on-site either - that
means that the contributors loose a degree of feedback on their work.

Additionally, what is to stop people setting up an alternative site?
Nothing at all. But that creates a fragmented approach, which is
basically what we have at the moment. This is an attempt to bring things
together. Yes, there is a degree of control-freak in me, I admit, but I
feel it is important. I feel that if others wish to use the site, then
any change to a document (which will only happen with approval of a
number of senior experienced people) should be contributed back to the
original authors - and currently my feelings are that this should be
enforced, not requested. In short, I am trying to say that you can use
the document for what you will, but the 'payment' for this privilege is
your own thoughts and opinions. (I just don't want to word it that way!)

Is this clear? Am I wrong in wanting this for authors submitting to the
site?

So I am currently pondering two approaches: either dual licensing (which
is messy, complicated, confusing and just plain horrid), or by relying
on the phrase "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
the licensor", and finding a method of attribution that achieves almost
what I want (though I currently know not how).

Best regards,

Phil.