cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Restricting Derivative Works
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

>"You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
> the licensor", and finding a method of attribution that achieves almost
> what I want (though I currently know not how).

That won't prevent derivatives.

If you want, you can use the CC-BY clause to have
users assign attribution to your website, but the
work remains free. Then if someone starts their
own copy of the work and makes a derivative,
their version must attribute your website.

You could then use CC-BY-SA so that if this other
website modifies the work in a way you like,
you can roll it back into your version.

Otherwise, they could honor attribution requirements
and license teh work All Rights Reserved, then you
wouldn't be able to use the derivatives.

So, look at using CC-BY-SA, and read the clause in
the legal text version about having people assign
attribution to your website.

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/