cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Stefan Tiedje <Stefan-Tiedje AT addcom.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:10:59 +0100

Sorry for chiming in late, but

Greg London wrote:
Again, in my opinion, taking a work licensed NC and
adding ShareAlike is pointless.

Unless you expect fourth, fifth, and sixth generation
derivatives of your work (or more), then Share Alike
doesn't actually come into play. If you write it and
license it CC-NC-SA, and then Alice makes a derivative,
then Bob takes Alice's vesion and makes his derivative,
and Charlie takes Bob's work and makes a derivitiave of that,
then Share Alike may make a difference.

You forgot, that Alice could license it under BY or even PD, then Bob takes Alices and uses it commercially which would be the opposite of the original intention of the creator.

You're prooving yourself, that CC-NC-SA makes a lot of sense.
I think its more the other way around, to have a NC clause without SA is really pointless, then yopu could as well skip the NC part, because it would work only for the first generation.

Stefan

--

[][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]