cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 18:19:19 -0500 (EST)

> Based upon the feedback I've had, people do not understand the BY-NC
> licence. [Their questions invariably are
>
> i) Can I redistribute this?
> ii) Can I make an extract of this?

Wow. That's something that CC ought to address.
CC-NC should be painstakingly clear that the
answer to both those questions are yes.

If it isn't painfully clear, then I think the
solution is to make it clear, not use a different,
and less appropriate license.

> With either BY-NC-ND or BY-NC-SA, the question I get is "I want to use
> this in my church. Is that OK.?"

It will be interesting to see what the feedback on the
guidelines are. I know there have been a spectrum of
wildly different interprettations of what NC means,
from "no money changing hands under any circumstances"
to "you can charge money to break even, just don't make a profit"

Not everyone will likely agree with the current NC guidelines.

Greg
--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/