cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ali Baba <mail.alibaba AT free.fr>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:07:40 +0100

I have written documentation for two different programs.

One set of documentation is licenced under the CC-SA.
The other set is licenced under the CC-NC-SA.

There are more derivatives, and translations of the documentation
under the CC-NC-SA licence, than the one with the CC-SA licence.

Under your theory, the material under the CC-SA licence should have
more translations, and derivatives.

Can you explain why my experience contradicts your theory?

Maybe that program is more used, or more complicated... in short people need documentation more for one of the two programmes. Or the documentation provided for one of the programmes is enough and there is no need for derivatives. Etc.

You can't drive any conclusion when the basics are different.

To make a true experiment, one would have to release the same material under the two different licences and see what happens.