cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:01:10 +0100
On 19 May 2005, at 20:51, Sincaglia, Nicolas wrote:

As I see it, this DRM clause is an obstacle to creating a healthy
business ecosystem for the creative community.

As I see it, maintaining unhealthy business models is an obstacle to a healthy, DRM-free creative ecosystem for the community.

Allowing DRM-encumbered CC content would be such a backdoor that the licenses would become utterly ineffective.

Does anyone still use RealMedia anyway? The BBC tried OGG a while back and I think they do MP3 now.

How can the independent artist and the independent business communities
come together and compete in a meaningful way against the corporate
media machines when we can't even play on the same playing fields?

Fetishising the toys of the "corporate media machines"' protectionist technology certainly won't level the playing field.

Keep the DRM clause. Lose the over-priced, under-featured, anti- consumer technology.

- Rob.