cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 14:37:47 -0400

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 12:31 -0400, Greg London wrote:

> > Also, when does the work finally fall out of copyright? Again, who
> > knows? For the USA, and I believe some other countries, copyright
> > extends for the lifetime of the author. But who's the author? The only
> > name on the work is for some made-up thing that has no legal standing.
>
> so we should make wikis more dificult to manage today

Attribution is dead-easy and totally automatic for almost all wiki
engines. Except for a few ancient holdouts, every wiki engine around now
keeps the history of all edits to a page. You can see, for example, the
history of my Wikitravel user page here:
http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=User:Evan&action=history

Some wiki engines automatically provide on-page credits, or RDF data for
credit information. It's really easy, and takes no effort on the part of
the wiki owners. Even people who re-use the content can usually get
automatic credits information.

It's kind of too bad the JotWiki software used for the Code book doesn't
support this; their feature flaw, and the fact that the Chairman of
Creative Commons uses their service, means we have to change all the CC
licenses to deal with their sub-par software.

And, yes, I think it makes sense to take a long view of the life of
works.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou