cc-licenses - RE: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:56:39 -0500

Christian,
Thanks for your very thoughtful response. I hope my posts don't
come off as a criticism of the Creative Commons. I am big supporter of
the entire movement. I am throwing out these questions and scenarios so
that I can better understand the full potential of these licenses.
I don't come from a free software background so your perspective
is valuable to me. My background is in business involving intellectual
property, both patents and copyrights. I am trying to understand how the
CC licenses work within existing laws and the business and legal
environments.
Your explanation on DRM and encryption was very helpful. I think
I now better understand now how encryption and DRM are viewed
differently. Thanks.
I am not familiar with the BSD/GPL arguments. I will do some
research on it. I am sure I will have some more questions once I get
more familiar with it though.

Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Nick