cc-licenses - Re: Question about possible use of NC works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question about possible use of NC works
  • Date: 12 Apr 2005 02:03:32 +0900

Hi.

>If we made it a condition of getting access to the NC works that a person
>bring in and put on the system some other CC licensed work to build the
>library, it looks like we would be closer to being cool.

I understood this an idea that exchanging files is not "commercial,"
because of the specific statement in the license text.
But I am concerned about the possibility that this applies only to
the people who exchange files, not the service provider who let people
to exchange files.

In other words, it seems to me that people can freely exchange CC-by-nc
files, but the company providing the software, network, and/or
associated database with advertisement cannot claim their service
provision is non-commercial.

In your idea, it seems that the store would act as both file exchanger
and a file-exchange service provider. So that question seems to remain
- is the service provider part a non-profit operation?

By the way, many of the audio files are available via the original
author's web sites, I think. And I believe some of them are happy to
give songs for free of charge for the project like yours. You can
possibly contact the authors and obtain a different license, like
a two tier license that grants your store to offer that service,
and grants CC-by-nc license to everyone else.

Best,

Tomos