cc-licenses - Re: Question about possible use of NC works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Robin Millette <millette AT waglo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question about possible use of NC works
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:26:29 -0400

>Robin Millette wrote:
Cogitateurs-Agitateurs compiled a 200 page book we printed and bound
(binded ?) for a Free bookfair:
http://salondulivrelibre.info/

The book includes texts from many sources with different licences, but
no CC with the NC clause, since we weren't sure at all if we could sell
them, at any price. I consider us to be a non-profit organisation,
although we haven't gone thru the full paperwork yet.

drew Roberts wrote:

When you say selling your books for themselves, do you mean the ones you printed and bound or copies they may print and bind for themselves?

I mean we had 40 copies printed and bound, and we sold out for a little more then the production cost. We probably gave 10 of those, so in total we might have not come even. But how exactly are we supposed to count this ?

Say I print up some books with CC BY-NC works and give them to friends as gifts. Can they sell them when they are done? To a used book store? Can the used book store sell them? If I printed a bunch and gave them to a friend who owns a new book store, could he sell them? (In other words, money would definately be going from hand to hand, but not in connection with the person making the copies in rthe first place.)

Let's say, to save time and even money, you print the copies all at once, instead of producing them one by one. In effect, you're compensating for a lack of proper copying technology. How does that change the equation ?

I'll followup in my answer to Tomos.

--
Robin Millette, aka oqp http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/
http://www.cogitateurs-agitateurs.org/ - Cogitateurs Agitateurs