cc-licenses - Re: Question about possible use of NC works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Question about possible use of NC works
  • Date: 11 Apr 2005 11:53:19 +0900

----- Original Message -----
From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts
<cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:15:58 -0400

>I appreciate your thoughtful reply. So far, it is the only one. Here is the
>thing, if it is indeed this complex, and I fear it may be, the only safe
>thing I see to do is to leave all NC works out of the picture. Which is a
>shame, but when there is possible jail time and hugh statutory fines
>possible
>for copyright violations, it is not the time to take chances.

Thank you for your kind words. Personally, I would do the same - leave
NC works altogether to avoid troubles. It might be different if there are
some legal precedents to rely on. I might feel a little more comfortable
to tell what's non-commercial then, and do something that I wouldn't
otherwise.

>So again, I think NC is not spelled out clearly enough to be safe to use in
>many cases. Am I off base here?

In general, perhaps it is hard for anyone to come up with a clear and
meaningful
definition of "non-commercial." But there are certain uses, like a non-profit
organization using it for its project, that this type of license can clearly
permit. There are certain creators who wish to give such a license grant.
License bridging those authors and users is important enough, and that may
be all we can expect for this kind of license. That how I feel about it. Not
much
to be ashamed about for anyone, just the matter is a bit too complicated for
a generic license to handle. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this, though.

all the best,

Tomos