cc-licenses - Re: Question about possible use of NC works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Robin Millette <millette AT waglo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question about possible use of NC works
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 05:59:18 -0400

wiki_tomos wrote:

In general, perhaps it is hard for anyone to come up with a clear and meaningful definition of "non-commercial." But there are certain uses, like a non-profit organization using it for its project, that this type of license can clearly permit. There are certain creators who wish to give such a license grant.

Cogitateurs-Agitateurs compiled a 200 page book we printed and bound
(binded ?) for a Free bookfair:
http://salondulivrelibre.info/

The book includes texts from many sources with different licences, but
no CC with the NC clause, since we weren't sure at all if we could sell
them, at any price. I consider us to be a non-profit organisation,
although we haven't gone thru the full paperwork yet.

Asking each invididual author wasn't an option - not that they were too
many of them, but if we did obtain the rights, we would still be
prohibiting other people from selling our books for themselves.

It's mostly french, still a work in progress (call this a beta version
if you like) but we expect the first complete edition to be ready in a
month or so. In the meanwhile, a PDF is available here:
Le libre - introduction, enjeux et références
http://cogitateurs-agitateurs.org/Le_libre_-_introduction%2c_enjeux_et_r%c3%a9f%c3%a9rences

--
Robin Millette, aka oqp http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/
http://www.cogitateurs-agitateurs.org/ - Cogitateurs Agitateurs