cc-licenses - Re: Question about possible use of NC works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question about possible use of NC works
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:42:34 -0400

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 05:59 am, Robin Millette wrote:
> wiki_tomos wrote:
> > In general, perhaps it is hard for anyone to come up with a clear and
> > meaningful definition of "non-commercial." But there are certain uses,
> > like a non-profit organization using it for its project, that this type
> > of license can clearly permit. There are certain creators who wish to
> > give such a license grant.
>
> Cogitateurs-Agitateurs compiled a 200 page book we printed and bound
> (binded ?) for a Free bookfair:
> http://salondulivrelibre.info/
>
> The book includes texts from many sources with different licences, but
> no CC with the NC clause, since we weren't sure at all if we could sell
> them, at any price. I consider us to be a non-profit organisation,
> although we haven't gone thru the full paperwork yet.
>
> Asking each invididual author wasn't an option - not that they were too
> many of them, but if we did obtain the rights, we would still be
> prohibiting other people from selling our books for themselves.

When you say selling your books for themselves, do you mean the ones you
printed and bound or copies they may print and bind for themselves?

This brings up an interesting question which I have asked before but do not
recall seeing an answer to.

Say I print up some books with CC BY-NC works and give them to friends as
gifts. Can they sell them when they are done? To a used book store? Can the
used book store sell them? If I printed a bunch and gave them to a friend who
owns a new book store, could he sell them? (In other words, money would
definately be going from hand to hand, but not in connection with the person
making the copies in rthe first place.)