cc-licenses - Selling a NC'd book? (Re: Question about possible use of NC works)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Selling a NC'd book? (Re: Question about possible use of NC works)
  • Date: 13 Apr 2005 02:05:49 +0900

Once and again, let me warn you that I am not a lawyer, so I could well be
wrong.
But I wanted to share my version of answers to drew's question.

If you are given a bound book licensed under CC-nc, and wants to give it to a
friend, auction it online, or sell it to a used bookstore, that's no
problem, in my understanding.

The same can be said if you were a commercial used-bookstore owner selling
that book.

The important point is that all of these sales are made without making
any copy of the book, nor any public performance, display, etc. of the work.
The act is, in other words, not relevant to copyright.

Now, if you printed out that CC-nc'd book from online, that is a bit
different.
In that case, you are the licensee because you created a print copy of a
digital file.
You cannot make a copy "primarily intended for or directed toward commercial
advantage or private monetary compensation."
(4b of the license text). In many (but not all) contexts, printing out for
your own reading or decoration of your bookshelf is clearly legal.
Gift-giving
I would say is easier to defend, because file-exchange is explicitly said to
be
non-commercial and gift-giving among friends is very close to it.

Leasing is also a bit different story, I suppose, at least in some countries.
I cannot say much about this because I know so little, but I would appreciate
if anyone can tell me the leasing right in relation to CCPLs.

Also, if the cover art of the book is also CC-nc'd, I am not sure if
bookstores can display it to the customer, or a seller can show it to
a potential buyer at an online auction.

Regards,

Tomos