cc-licenses - Question about possible use of NC works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Question about possible use of NC works
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:21:20 -0400

I have mentioned before that I am wary of the NC licenses. Now I have thought
of a use I might like to suggest to a family business for CC works and the NC
works may or may not be usable and I would like input/thoughts.

There is a furniture business in the family. They have a department that
sells
home entertainment, pro audio, and musical instruments. My idea, and I don't
know if they will bite, it so provide a PC with a burner in the store loaded
with music that the public could access and burn CDs for themselves. They
could bring their own CDs or the store could sell them some. (Currently the
store does not sell blank media.

My thought is there would be no charge for the use of the machine and any
member of the public could come in and avail themselves of this. They would
not have to be paying customers and there would be no ties or obligations.

I figure CC BY, BY-SA, and BY-ND works are cool for this use. What about
BY-NC, BY-NC-SA, and BY-NC-ND? Would this be considered primarily a
commercial use?

If this would not cross the line, are there any gotchas that we would need to
be careful of? That is, things vwery similar that would cross the line?