cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Peter Knupfer, H-Net" <peter AT mail.h-net.msu.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:56:30 -0500

Thanks to Henri Sivonen for the moral rights cases; they are very helpful. The sample reinforces the suspicion that attribution forms the biggest class of such claims.

I started this thread in order to get information about on the CC license's impact on certain dimensions of moral rights (the moral right to be cited is already protected in the license). I direct a global organization with thousands of writers and contributors living in countries with moral rights regimes in place, so putting the entire archive of documents under CC license could be a fateful step if we don't properly anticipate at least some of the consequences.

Aside from Mr. London's intemperate op-ed rant about the dangers of moral rights and about "rights" being whatever he says they are regardless of what anybody else (including courts, constitutions, legislators, and treaties, I guess) says they are, the contributions and discussion here were quite helpful. I agree that it's best to move the moral rights question to another venue (I noticed that Lessig is discussing it at his blog in ref. to the CC wiki license), especially before London lets fly with another eclectic bit of street law.

Thanks again,

Peter